Light, beautifully smooth and just the right amount of tang. Great for summer 😀
3 eggs, separated
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
1 Tablespoon powdered Gelatine
150ml/5fl oz Double Cream and extra for decorate
Slices of lemon to decorate
- Grate the zest from one lemon.
- Squeeze the juice from both the lemons.
- Wisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest into the egg yolk mix.
- Sprinkle the Gelatine over 2 tablespoons of cold water, in a heat proof bowl.
- Leave for about 5 minutes to soften. Then put the bowl over a pan of hot water and heat gently until all the gelatine has dissolved. Do not stir.
- Whip the cream in a large bowl until it forms soft peaks.
- Pour the dissolved gelatine into the egg and lemon mix, in a steady stream while constantly stirring.
- Fold this mix into the whipped cream.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then carefully fold that into the lemon and cream mix.
- Fill individual serving dishes with your mousse mixture and allow to set for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Decorate and serve
This is a really lovely dessert for summer. You can also use any other tipe citrus fruit you like. Limes will work perfectly and if you want something a little sweeter, use two small oranges.
Photo by: L Parker