450g/1lb red tomatoes
1 Red pepper
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 small Onion that is finely chopped
1 Potato, peeled and diced
1 Garlic Clove crushed
1 Tablespoon Tomato puree
275ml/½pt Vegetable stock
225g/8oz Greek Yogurt
15g/1/2oz Fresh Basil, not too finely chopped
Basil to garnish
- De-seed the pepper and chop it roughly.
- Skin and de-seed the Tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, potato, tomato puree, stock and half of the basil.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes has softened.
- Leave to cool.
- When cool, puree the vegetable mixture with 100g/4oz of the yogurt in a food processor or blender. (A hand held blender works fine)
- Pour into a serving dish and chill, if you are going to serve it cold, or bring back to a simmer for a hot soup.
- Cut the cucumber in half, lengthways and scoop out the seeds.
- Puree the flesh in a food processor and blender, together with the remaining yogurt and basil leaves.
- When the soup is ready to be served, stir in the yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with basil.
Tip: How to peel a tomato: Bring water to a boil in a pot large enough that you can submerge a whole tomato in. Using a fork, submerge tomato in boil water for 5-10 seconds. Allow tomatoes to cool on counter top. Remove skin with knife or vegetable peeler. These should slide right off!
Photo: R Duns