Makes: 4 Big/6 small
Preheat oven: 180˚C
1 Vanilla Pod
3 Tablespoons Castor Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
⅓ Cup Sugar
- Slit the Vanilla Pod and add to the Cream in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Simmer for 3 minutes and then let stand for 20 minutes to allow the Vanilla to infuse into the Cream.
- Add the Egg Yolks and Sugar to the Cream and stir over low heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat the bag of a spoon.
- Remove the Vanilla Pod and pour the mixture into four Ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish and pour warm water around then until about halfway up the sides.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the desserts are just set.
- Remove the ramekins from the baking dish and refrigerate for 1 hour or until they are cold.
- Sprinkle the Sugar evenly over the tops and use a Chef’s blowtorch to caramelise the sugar until it forms a crusty shell and get a golden colour.
After the Vanilla pod has had the 20 minutes in the cream to infuse, I normally scratch out the seeds and put it back into the cream. This will just enhance the Vanilla flour.
If you do not have a Chef’s Blowtorch, place the ramekins with the Brulée under a hot grill until the sugar has melted and becomes crusty. Just be careful not to leave it under the grill for too long, you do not want to end up with a watery mix.
And if I do not want to make it into such a sweet dessert, I leave the sugar (brulee)out and top it with fresh fruit. Yummy 😉