1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Clove Garlic, crushed
225g Mushrooms, halved
350g Courgettes, halved lengthways and cut into about 3mm slices
3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
150ml Vegetable Stock
1 Tin Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tin Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
450g Potatoes cut into 6mm slices
175g Strong Cheese (Leicester) grated
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry for about 5 minutes or until just soft.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the courgettes and sprinkle on the flour. Mix well. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Mix the milk and stock in a jug and then gradually add to the pan.
5. Continue to cook until the sauce starts to boil and thickens.
6. Simmer for 4 minutes.
7. Mix in the two kinds of beans and the parsley and season to taste.
8. Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish and keep warm.
9. Meanwhile put the potatoes into a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil.
10. Cook for about 5 minutes.
11. Drain the potatoes and arrange over the bean mixture. There must be no gaps, so make sure each piece of potato overlaps the next one.
12. Sprinkle the cheese over and place under a moderate grill until the cheese melts and brown slightly.
Tip: For non-vegetarians, add some bacon. Cook the bacon together with the onions and garlic.