1 Aubergine ± 250g
4 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 Garlic Cloves crushed
1 Large Onion chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, deseeded and cut into bite-size cubes
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, deseeded and cut into bite-size cubes
800g canned chopped Tomatoes
2 Courgettes, sliced
1 Celery Stick, sliced
1 Teaspoon Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons fresh Thyme
- Trim the Aubergine and cut into bite-sized chunks and put in colander. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes. This will remove the bitter taste of the Aubergine.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Rinse the Aubergine and drain well, then add that to the saucepan with the peppers. Reduce the heat and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, courgettes, celery, sugar and chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
Tip: Serve this with a baked potatoes or some freshly baked crusty bread.
Photo: Clive B-Hill