As a child I would wish for the bananas to turn over ripe so that my Mom can make this. Warm banana bread fresh from the oven with butter and a glass of milk..yes, that is my kind of heaven. And even now, a loaf like this will not last longer than one day. We will have a slice at breakfast, a slice for mid morning tea, then a slice or two for lunch, a slice for afternoon tea and the rest will be dessert for after we have cleared our dinner plates 😉
Makes: 1 Loaf
1 ½ cup Flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup Butter or margarine
4 ripe Bananas
1 tsp Soda
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Peel the bananas and mash well with a fork.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat well.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a mixing bowl.
- Fold in the beaten eggs and then the mashed bananas, ensuring that the mixture is well combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) together and fold into the creamed banana mixture.
- Lightly grease a loaf tin and dust the greased surface with flour.
Pour the banana bread mixture into the loaf tin and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Remove the Banana Bread from loaf tin.