100g fresh White Breadcrumbs
700g minced Lamb
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh Parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Mint, chopped, or ½ teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon mature Cheddar cheese, grated
2 Eggs beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying
Mint leaves to garnish
- Mix the milk and breadcrumbs in a bowl and then using your fingers, squeeze the milk from the breadcrumbs and pour off.
- Add the lamb, onion, herbs, cheese and egg to the bowl and mix well.
- Season to taste, cover the bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Roll balls the size of walnuts, using all the mince.
- Sprinkle the flour on a plate, season and roll each meatball in it until evenly coated with the flour.
- Pour the olive oil in a frying pan to the depth of 2cm (½inch) and heat until very hot.
- Fry the meatballs in batches, turning frequently until evenly brown all over.
- As the meatballs cook remove them from the pan (with a slotted spoon) and drain on absorbent paper.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Tips: You can serve this hot or cold. The recipe makes about 40 meatballs and if you serve this as part of a Greek meze, it will be enough for 10 people. If you serve the meatballs with rice and a salad, the recipe will serve about 6 people.