1 1/4 cups Cake Flour, sifted
3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Milk
1 Vanilla Bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
125ml unsalted Butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
3 large whole Eggs plus 3 Egg Yolks, room temperature
1 cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Heat milk and vanilla-bean pod and seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles appear.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the butter until melted and let stand for about 15 minutes. P
- Place paper liners in standard size cupcake tins.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, and discard vanilla-bean pod.
- Mix together whole eggs, yolks, and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Place mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water, whisk by hand until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture becomes warm. This will take about 6 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, whisk until mixture is fluffy and pale yellow.
- Gently fold flour mixture into the egg mixture in three batches, until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Stir 1/2 cup batter into the strained milk mixture to thicken, and then fold milk mixture into the remaining batter until just combined. Fill the paper-lined tins evenly with the batter, (three-quarters full).
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes, until the cupcakes are lightly golden brown.
- Transfer the tin(s) to a wire racks, let cool for about 5 minutes, and remove from pan and let cool completely before decorating.
Flavoured Coffee Syrup
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly brewed very strong Coffee
15ml of your choice Liqueur. I used Bailey’s Irish Cream
1/4 cup Sugar
- Mix above ingredients until combined and sugar dissolves.
- Brush the tops of the cupcakes with this syrup, or deeply poke the tops of the cupcakes several times with a wooden skewer, then drizzled the coffee-mixture over with a teaspoon.
- Allow it to soak in.
- Use all of the coffee syrup.
- Allow cupcakes to absorb liquid 30 minutes.
- Dollop (or pipe) the frosting onto cupcakes. R
- Refrigerate up to 24-hours in airtight containers.
- Dust generously with cocoa powder just before serving.
1 cup heavy Cream
125g Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup Confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- In a small bowl, beat 1/2 of the heavy cream until soft peaks barely form (don’t over beat).
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup of the confectioner’s sugar until medium peaks form.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, blend 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and the remaining 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar into the mascarpone with an electric mixer until very creamy and smooth.
- Add the sweetened whipped cream to the mascarpone mixture and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Use immediately.