So here are just a few lunch ideas for the small people in our homes. We were very lucky these last two years, Nicholas was in a Kindergarten where they were served breakfast, lunch and snacks in between. But now with the summer holidays, little master wants Mommy to make lunch and I know, for most of us, the ideas dry up or we just get that lunch brain-block and the two-minute-noodles is all that is staring us in the faces. So all my fellow lunch idea seekers, if you have something yummy, fast and not too unhealthy, please share the idea 😉
Cheese and Bacon Muffins
100g Smoked Back Bacon Rashers
275g plain Flour
15ml Baking Powder
5ml Caster Sugar
125g Edam Cheese, grated
75g Sun-dried Tomatoes, chopped
30ml freshly snipped Chives
200ml semi- skimmed Milk
75g Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 paper muffin cases.
- Grill the bacon until crispy and chop into pieces.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder together.
- Stir the sugar, salt, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, chives and three-quarters of the cheese into the flour mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined – the batter should be lumpy, but with no dry pockets of flour.
- Fill the muffin cases with the mixture and sprinkle the tops with the reserved Edam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and firm.
- This can be eaten warm or cold.
4 large White or Brown Crusty Rolls
25g Butter, melted
75g Leicester Cheese, thinly sliced
100g Ham, slices
2 firm Tomatoes, sliced
100g Cucumber, thinly sliced
- With a bread knife, slice off the top of each roll to make a lid.
- Pull out most of the soft bread from the inside of each roll.
- Lightly brush melted butter inside each roll and across the cut edge of the lids.
- Layer the cheese, ham, tomatoes and cucumber into the rolls, pressing down gently as you go.
- Place the lids on top of the rolls, then wrap tightly in foil.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and half the rolls, then re-wrap, and eat within 4 hours of making.
Egg mayo rolls
4 Sandwich Rolls
3 hard-boiled Eggs
2 tablespoons low-fat Mayonnaise
A handful of fresh Lettuce leaves
4 large pinches of Cress
- Put a layer of lettuce on one side of the seeded rolls.
- Chop up the hard-boiled eggs and mix with the mayonnaise.
- Pile over the lettuce and garnish with cress.
1 large can of Tuna
2 tablespoons Coleslaw dressing
1 package Coleslaw mix
12 flour Tortillas
1. In a medium bowl mix the tuna, coleslaw mix and coleslaw dressing.
2. Spoon into flour tortillas.
3. Serve with corn chips and salsa.
Crispy Bacon Tortilla
4 pieces of bacon
4 slices of American cheese
1. Cook 4 pieces of bacon in microwave.
2. Put the tortilla on a plate and add cheese.
3. Put in microwave for 20 seconds to melt. Then put bacon on the cheese and roll your tortilla up.
4. Add salsa, avocado, or sour cream.
Mini Shapes to Yum on:
Order low-fat deli meats and cheese sliced extra thick. Use cookie cutters to cut the slices into kid-friendly shapes. Pack with crackers or bread.
Remember: Less is more. Children like mini-sized waffles and donut holes, so use the same concept in packing lunches.