The winter is creeping closer and our days are definitely getting cooler. What a better way to fill the tummies and a cold winter’s night than with this delicious casserole. And the best thing about this dish, you serve an unforgettable dinner with a very cheap cut of beef.
1kg Chuck Steak, cut into about 6 slices
2 tablespoons seasoned Flour
2 tablespoons Oil
½ tablespoon dried Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
350g Onions, sliced
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Flour
300ml Beef Stock
Salt and black Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Coat the steak with the seasoned flour.
- Using a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and brown the meat.
- Transfer the meat to an ovenproof casserole dish with a well fitting lid.
- Sprinkle the thyme over the meat and add the bay leaves.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and fry the onions and the garlic until they turn a rich brown.
- Stir in the flour and slowly add the stock, constantly stirring to make a smooth sauce.
- Pour this over the meat, season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook in the oven for about 3 hours.
- Do not remove the lid before the cooking time is over.
Tip: Serve this lovely dish with mashed potatoes and green vegetables of your choice. This is also an ideal casserole for a slow cooker (“Crockpot”). This very slow cooking method will produce meat that will melt in your mouth. YUMMY