I have never made any form of Cannelloni before…but after the first attempt, this will definitely be on the menu quite a lot from now on. I think it was the huge circle type of tube that made me nervous and then the fact that you had to fill it with whatever just seemed rather impossible.
But please….if you have never done this before….it’s so worth the while. So go out there, go get your box of Cannelloni and give it a try. Let’s be honest, plain and simple, at the end of the day….it’s just a pasta 🙂
1 tablespoon Oil
25g Butter and a little bit extra for greasing the dish
1 Onion, chopped
1 clove of Garlic, crushed
450g lean minced Beef
200g tinned chopped Tomatoes
225g frozen Spinach
1 tablespoon dried Basil
Salt and ground Black Pepper to taste
6 Cannelloni tubes
Fresh Basil sprigs to garnish
For the Sauce:
80g Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Heat the oil and the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the mince and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid after 15 minutes and cook for 5 minutes without the lid to thicken the liquid.
- Also, bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add the cannelloni to the water and boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the tubes of cannelloni.
- Place in a single layer on a damped tea-towel.
- Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish with the extra butter.
- Spoon teaspoons full of the meat mixture into the cannelloni tubes and place them side by side into the ovenproof dish.
Method for the Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook on a low heat for about a minute.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until thickened and smooth.
- Take off the heat and add 50g of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir until well blended.
14. Pour the sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle the remaining cheese over.
15. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
16. Garnish with the fresh basil.