This is something that we would make and serve as a side when we are hosting a BBQ (Braai). Always goes down a treat and not too bad for you either. The bread contains useful amounts of protein and calcium and the corn ups the fibre content. There are so many variants to Cornbread, but I find this recipe very easy and this one always comes out the way I think it should 😉
250g Sweetcorn Kernels
450g Self Raising Flour
2 teaspoons Salt
65g Cheddar Cheese, grated
pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Grease a loaf tin.
- Coarsely chop the sweetcorn or briefly whizz it in a food processor.
- Sift the flour and salt.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and 45g of the cheese and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and mix to form a soft, but sticky dough.
- Spoon the dough into the loaf tin and level the surface.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the cayenne pepper, if you want to add a little bite.
- Bake for about 1 to 1 ¼ hours or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf.
- Turn the loaf out on a cooling rack.
– If you do not have buttermilk, use normal milk and add lemon juice to it and stand for 15-20 minutes. The ratio is normally one tablespoon of lemon juice for each cup of milk.
– Serve this as a side with a BBQ or something to snack on during the day. Delicious served warm and lovingly spread with butter…..and a little bit more butter on the butter 😉