Now this is a fancy way to do roast potatoes. They are gorgeous to look at and to eat and some how they taste completely different from a normal roast potato…must be all the love that you put in the cutting of the spud, making sure the cuts are all the same size….basting the little balls of starch every so often with the sizzling oil…nurchering them to a golden brown with a crispy coat…. Mmmm, think this will be on the menu for Sunday Lunch 😉
12 medium sized Potatoes
50ml Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each potato to stop them from rolling over.
- Using two pencils, place them on a chopping board so they are parallel and about 5cm apart.
- Place a potato between the pencils then cut straight down, vertically, through the potato as far as the pencils. Do not cut right rough the potato.
- Make a series of cuts along the length of the potato, to make slices 5mm thick.
- Heat the oil in an oven pan and when the oil is sizzling, put the potatoes in a single layer in the pan.
- Spoon some oil over the potatoes.
- Roast in the oven for about 1 hour, basting regularly with the hot oil.
10. When the potatoes are crispy and golden brown, they are ready.
11. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately alongside your favourite veggies and joint of meat.