I think that chilli and chocolate are a match made in heaven. The two compliment each other so well and I just love the combination. These are rather spicy, so not the ideal tread for little mouths, although Nicholas ate all the sugar paste I did not use for the decorations. And the, I had a cupcake last night, smothered it in double cream……..and forgot all about the doom and gloom in the world….for a whole 5 minutes….I was alone…with a chilli chocolate cupcake…swimming in double cream 😉
200g Dark Chocolate, chopped
100g unsalted Butter
250g plain Flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ teaspoon mild Chilli Powder
Pinch of Salt
200ml Milk (full cream works best)
100ml Sour Cream
1 medium Egg
100g Castor Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line your muffin tin with paper cases.
- Melt the butter and about half of the chopped chocolate in a double boiler.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, chilli powder and salt.
- In a different bowl, beat together the milk, sour cream, egg and castor sugar.
- Add the remaining chopped chocolate to the milk mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Spoon your dough into the paper cases.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
10. Let cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
Tips: These cupcakes are quite hot, so if you do want something a little milder, just add less cayenne and chilli powder.
I decorated the cupcakes with coloured castor sugar and a little chilli I made from sugar paste.
(Adapted from: Cupcake Heaven Magazine)