Today was my “Macaroon Day”. Never made these little sweet treats before and was not too sure whether it would come out right or not. At the end it turned out to very easy and of course they taste divine 😀
4 large Egg Whites
300g Icing Sugar
Food colouring of you choice
140g ground Almonds
125ml Chocolate of your choice, melted
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Whisk in the icing sugar, not too much at a time and beat well between each addition.
- With the last addition, add the colouring and keep whisking until the mixture has the desired colour with no streaks.
- Gently fold in the almonds.
- If you do not have Macaroon Oven Mats, cover four baking sheets with grease proof paper.
- Use a piping bag with a wide nozzle or a teaspoon to pipe or spoon the mixture on the paper.
- Make the circles about 5cm wide and this mix will make 40 circles.
- Let the macaroons rest for 10 minutes, to form a skin.
10. Put the baking sheets into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. The macaroons must be crisp but not browned.
12. Leave to cool completely before filling them.
The Macaroon Oven Mat/Baking Sheet