You can do so much with meringues and most of the recipes are very easy to make. Here is another one, like macaroons, that is so easy, quick and very yummy.
100g Caster Sugar
100g soft, light Muscovado Sugar
4 Egg Whites
1 tablespoon Demerara Sugar
200ml Double Cream
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sieve the caster sugar and muscovado sugar together, making sure that there are no hard lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar mix, (not the Demerara Sugar), a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is soft and glossy.
- Using a piping bag with a large start nozzle, pipe fingers of the meringue mixture on to the baking sheets. About 7.5cm long.
- Leave a little room between each of them to allow for expansion during the cooking process.
- Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the fingers and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the meringues are golden brown and crisp o the outside.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before lifting them off the parchment paper.
10. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
11. Spread or pipe the cream on half of the meringues and then sandwich it together with the other half.
Tip: If you want to swoosh this up a little, flavour your cream with coffee or lemon zest. If you do not want the cream, then melt a little chocolate and dip the one end of the meringues into chocolate.
Photo by: Duns