Last night was a very short course on Mini Chocolate Cakes. Everything was already made and ready for us when we arrived at Need A Cake, so it was really just about taking in what the tutor (Dawn) said and having fun with decorating our little cakes. Oh my People, there were chocolate everywhere!! Chocolate mini cakes, chocolate ganache, chocolate Ready to Roll Icing, chocolate shavings, chocolate twirls, chocolate cigars, chocolate triangles…well…you get the picture. The only decoration I made myself was the little rose. Dawn showed us last night how the mould it.
Then we were very privilege to receive Rachel Browns’ (Owner of Need A Cake) recipes for the Chocolate cake and the Ganache.
And yes, yes, yes..I am sharing it with you 😀
Belgian Chocolate Ganache
Makes enough to cover a 20cm/8-inch cake tier.
500g Dark Couverture Chocolate Drops (minimum 53% cocoa content)
500ml Single Cream
1. Place the chocolate drops in a bowl.
2. PLace the cream in a saucepan, stir well and heat up to a bare simmer.
3. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk them together until smooth. Don’t over whisk the ganache, as it can split quite easily.
4. Cool slightly until just setting before use.
Tip: It can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a month.
Serves: 6 (17cm/7-inch deep sandwich tins)
3 large Eggs
175g Self-raising Flour
175g Caster Sugar
175g softened Butter
1 1/2 level teaspoon Baking Powder
40g Cocoa Powder
4 tablespoons boiling Water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter and baking powder until smooth, in a large mixing bowl.
3. Put the cocoa in a separate mixing bowl and add the warm water a little at a time to make a stiff paste.
4. Add the cocoa to the cake mix.
5. Turn into the prepared tins, level the top and bake in for 20-25 minutes.
6. Leave to cool in the tins, then turn out on a wire rack and let cool completely before decorating.
Special thanks to Rachel Brown and her team.
Need a Cake, Unit 4c, Woodley Park Estate, Reading Road, Woodley, Reading, RG53AW
UK Tel: 01189690221