My Dear Hubby loves Rhubarb and when I found this recipe in a magazine, there was no question….I had to bake it. The Rhubarb gives a lovely sharp taste to the vanilla sponge cake and it also moistens the cake wonderfully.
175g unsalted Butter, room temperature
175g Caster Sugar
3 medium Eggs, lightly beaten
175g self-raising Flour, sieved
2 tablespoons Milk
150g Rhubarb stalks, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Ingredients for the Buttercream:
50g Rhubarb, diced
60g Caster Sugar
200g unsalted Butter, room temperature
400g Icing Sugar, sieved
Method for the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Whisk the butter and sugar together, until pale and creamy.
3.Gradually whisk in the eggs until just combined.
4. Add the flour and the milk and whisk together until well combined and fluffy.
5. Mix the Rhubarb and the caster sugar together and add to the cupcake mix and fold in.
6. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.
7. Let cool in tin for 5 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
Method for the Buttercream:
1. Add the Rhubarb and caster sugar to the water in a small pan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Turn the heat up a little and let simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Whisk the butter until fluffy.
5. Gradually add the icing sugar and blend well.
6. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the Rhubarb syrup.
7. Decorate the cupcakes to your taste.
The eggs always curdle when added to the butter and sugar. To prevent that, add 2 tablespoons of the flour and then whisk.
(Recipe adapted from Sainsbury’s Magazine)