I had some Mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes left over in the fridge and had to use it up rather quickly. The basic muffin recipe popped up into my head and I decided that these flavours will work great together – well they do on a pizza hey? – and I spiced it up with a little smoked paprika. Nicky had two, which is a great sign, and Chris gave his approval too 😉
Makes: 10 Big Muffins
Pre-heat oven: 180°C/350o F
2 cups (500ml) Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon (5ml) Baking Powder
1/2 (2.5ml) teaspoon Salt
1/2 (2.5ml) teaspoon mixed dried Herbs
1/2 (2.5ml) teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 (5ml) teaspoon Sugar
1 cup (250ml) Milk, room temperature
2 large Eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup (60ml) Canola Oil
100g Mozzarella Cheese, finely grated
40g Sun Dried Tomatoes, finely chopped
1. Line or grease a muffin tin.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together. (Self raising flour, baking powder, salt, herbs, paprika and salt)
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together in another bowl, until very well combined. (Milk, eggs, oil, cheese and tomatoes)
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and mix until just combined.
5. Spoon the muffin mixture into your prepared muffin tin.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester (toothpick) inserted comes out clean.
7. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then take out to cool completely on a wire rack.
8. Enjoy as is or with a little butter spread on them.
Tip: I use a big ice-cream scoop to spoon the mixture into the muffin holes – this is a 100ml spoon.